UMHS is pleased to announce a partnership with Kaplan for the USMLE Step 2 Review Program. The performance standards for the USMLE Step 2 CS examination will change for examinees testing on or after September 10, 2017.
The UMHS Endeavour takes a look at the changes in standards and what is available to help students with the multiple-choice, second part of the United States Medical Licensing (USMLE) Exam, based on information provided by Kaplan official Cheri Julien Hirao, the USMLE and Medical School Services I National Board of Examiners (NBME). We will include descriptions from Kaplan about Step 2 CK On Demand, Step 2 Qbank and Step 2 CS Live.
New Performance Standards
At a meeting in July 2017, the UMSLE Management Committee reviewed recommended minimum passing levels for USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) and considered information from various sources, including recommendations from independent groups of doctors unaffiliated with the USMLE, surveys of certain groups (residency program directors, medical school faculty, state licensing representatives, etc.), data on trends and on the precision of pass/fail classifications, according to materials released by the NBME.
Statements released by NBME and the USMLE website announced an increase in the required minimum passing level for all three Step 2 CS subcomponents: Communication and Interpersonal Skills (CIS), Spoken English Proficiency (SEP), and Integrated Clinical Encounter (ICE).
NBME noted the following:
- “Because numerical scores are not reported for Step 2 CS, the decisions of the Management Committee are reported in terms of potential impact on examinees, using data from recent administrations.”
- “If the new minimum passing requirements were applied to the group of first-time examinees who recently tested, the overall passing rate for examinees from US medical schools would be approximately three percent lower and the overall passing rate for examinees from international medical schools would be approximately eight percent lower.’
- “The USMLE Management Committee is composed of medical school faculty with experience in undergraduate and graduate education, members of state medical boards, public members, and a resident member. The Management Committee is responsible for setting minimum passing performance levels for all USMLE exams.”
Kaplan Programs in Partnership with UMHS
Kaplan offers the following programs. For full descriptions, course demonstrations and schedules, please visit www.Kaplanmedical.com
- “Step 2 CK On-Demand: Prep around your busy clinical schedule with Kaplan’s convenient OnlinePrep. On-demand Internet access to over 115 hours of online video lectures delivered by Kaplan’s expert faculty. This online course includes 24/7 access to our full Step 2 CK video library with a menu that allows you to create a personalized study plan to customize your prep. Includes our new Lecture Notes, and Assessment Tests. 18 months of access and E-book lecture notes are available.”
- “Step 2 CK Qbank: Over 2,000 exam-like practice questions. Includes 1 diagnostic test, and 2 full-length simulated exams, all written by master faculty and reviewed by high-scorers. Detailed explanations and ReKap summaries, plus expert support from our academic tea via email. 18 months of access are available.”
- “Step 2 CS Live Online: Prepare for Step 2 CS from anywhere Internet access is available. Five, 3-hour sessions. Receive step-by-step guidance on all test components and review video of full-length patient encounters. You’ll get Live, interactive instruction from our expert faculty as they guide you through over fifteen hours of lecture and video. Get step-by-step review of all tested components including tips for exam room etiquette, Patient notes, and strategies for passing the exam. You’ll also review video of full-length encounters with certified standardized patients. Submit answers to questions and receive live feedback from our instructors, ask all of your questions via live chat, and compare your performance with that of other students. Programs are offered once a month on five consecutive nights, 6pm to 10pm eastern. Includes E-book lecture notes and three months of access to a recording of your program sessions.”
Links to Kaplan Benefit Sheets for Step 2 CK On-Demand & Step 2 CS Live Online
Step 2 CK On-Demand
Step 2 CS Live Online
Built in the tradition of the best US universities, the University of Medicine and Health Sciences focuses on individual student attention, maintaining small class sizes and recruiting high-quality faculty. We call this unique approach, “personalized medical education,” and it’s what has led to our unprecedented 96% student retention rate, and outstanding residency placements across the US and Canada. UMHS is challenging everything you thought you knew about Caribbean medical schools.