University of Medicine and Health Sciences
  • There are no suggestions because the search field is empty.
Virtual Tour
Apply Now

Admissions /
International students

International student admissions

UMHS welcomes students from around the globe to apply for admission. However, international students (citizens of any country outside the United States and Canada) should be aware that they must meet a few additional requirements, as outlined below.

campus 2023

NACES Evaluation

Applicants who attended international colleges or universities must have all of their college coursework evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES)-approved agency to determine if the courses are comparable and equivalent to courses offered in the U.S. or Canada. All required documents, if originally printed in a foreign language, must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.

TOEFL Scores

International students whose principal language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum scores accepted are:

  • 600 on the paper-based test
  • 250 on the computer-based test
  • 100 on the internet-based test

For more details about the exam, visit

Immigration information

Third– and fourth-year clinical clerkships take place at teaching hospitals in the United States, so international students who attend UMHS will need a B-1 visa to complete their studies. B-1 visa status only applies to the period of time of the third– and fourth-year clinicals, and does not apply to graduate medical training (residency), which normally requires a separate visa, the J-1 visa. International students may be eligible for a B-1 visa and entry to the United States. Canadian students are considered "visa-exempt," but must still comply with the same documentation requirements.

Students must apply for a B-1 visa in advance at a U.S. consulate. The U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados, is responsible for consular matters in St. Kitts. Conditions of the application include maintenance of residence abroad and demonstration of sufficient means of financial support during the student's stay in the United States.

All persons who obtain a B-1 visa or are visa-exempt must present themselves to an immigration officer upon arrival in the U.S. Upon admission to the U.S., the immigration officer will place a stamp in the student's passport noting the period of authorized stay.  The officer will also provide Form I-94, which is the entry record an international student must keep while in the U.S..

For further questions regarding the visa process, please email Shyam Dharia, Director of Enrollment Management. Book a meeting

umhs anatomy lab

Questions about applying to UMHS as an international student?

Our admissions staff are standing by to answer any questions you may have.

Speak to admissions