FOR CANADIAN STUDENTS
Why Attend UMHS
Canada faces a shortage of physicians and that trend continues to increase. With a limited number of seats offered in Canadian medical schools, more than 10,000 Canadian applications are denied annually. When you learn of the advantages and benefits offered by the University of Medicine and Health Sciences, St. Kitts, you will see how UMHS provides an excellent alternative for Canadian applicants. For your convenience we have put together pertinent information to assist you with your application process as well as informing you of financial aid options exclusively for Canadian applicants and the intricacies involved with residency and licensure in Canada. UMHS is here to help you achieve your dream of becoming a physician.
We are aware that most Canadian schools have a different grading scale. To assist us, we use the OMSAS chart to convert your marks to the US system.
In regards to the English requirement, we can substitute any course that has a writing component such as a term paper or written project.
In regards to the two semester organic chemistry requirement, one semester of biochemistry may be substituted.
Many Canadian Universities offer full and half year courses. A full year course 1.0 = 8 semester hours. A half year course 0.5 = 4 semester hours. Our minimum admissions requirement is 90 semester hours.
Canadians may apply for elective rotations in Canada.
Graduates of UMHS must meet all certification and
licensure testing criteria, including a passing score on the United States
Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and receiving the Educational Committee
for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification requirement. www.ecfmg.org.
Canadian students can compete both in the US National Residency Match Program
(NRMP) and/or the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS). They must take
the USMLE (US)
and MCCEE (Canadian) exams before competing in the match.
UMHS is listed in International Medical Education Directory (IMED),
published by the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical
Education and Research (FAIMER) thus allowing our graduates to participate in
both the US
and Canadian residency Match programs. http://imed.ecfmg.org
Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS). www.carms.ca
International Medical Graduates (IMG) can compete
with other Canadian medical graduates in the initial round of the CaRMS
match. (This applies to all provinces except Alberta).
CaRMS match eligibility: http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml
Canadian graduates must meet all certification and
licensure testing criteria, including a passing score on the Medical Council of
Evaluating Examination (MCCEE).
The Medical Council of Canada
(MCC) outlines procedures for obtaining residency and licensure in Canada. www.mcc.ca . Each Canadian province has its
own rules regarding licensing and eligibility.
General Information for IMGs in Canada or studying abroad: http://www.img-canada.ca
Financial Aid Options for Canadian Students
Accepted students should provide the bank with a copy of their letter of admissions along with a print out of our IMED directory listing http://imed.ecfmg.org.
Most major banks in Canada offer lines of credit for students studying outside Canada. These educational lines of credit are specifically designed to fund the costs associated with the student’s studies.
For students studying outside of Canada, most lenders require students to have a credit worthy cosigner in order to obtain an approval. Approvals are made at the discretion of the local branch where the application is submitted. Thus, students are advised to apply at the location they and/or their cosigners conduct most of their banking transactions.
Credit-based loans and lines of credit are typically approved for students, and their cosigners who have a good credit rating. Listed below are some of the Canadian banks that offer student loan programs for which you may be eligible to apply.
At this time the Provincial Canadian Student Loan Programs are not available to students attending UMHS. In accordance with Canadian law, an international medical school must be in operation for ten years before an application can be submitted and a federal code assigned to process loans. (The UMHS inaugural class matriculated in May 2008.) We are confident that UMHS otherwise meets the requirements of the Canadian Student Loan Program.
Printable version of the Financial Aid Options for Canadian Students
BMO - Bank of Montreal
With competitive rates, Bank of Montreal offers a Professional or Medical Student Line of Credit which can be used for tuition, living and travel expenses while attending school. Students are encouraged to contact their local BMO branch directly to discuss the advantages of a banking relationship with BMO.
Professional or Medical Student Lines of Credit
Pursuing a professional designation demands focus. BMO Professional or Medical Student Lines of Credit let you stay focused on what’s important—your studies.
- Borrowing designed for your specific program
- Easy access to funds – BMO debit card, Student Line of Credit MasterCard®*, write a cheque or visit any branch.
- No annual, monthly or ABM fees
- Free Student Line of Credit MasterCard access card let’s you access your Line of Credit anywhere MasterCard is accepted
- Pay interest only on what you borrow while you’re in school1 and for up to one year after graduation, followed by a gradually escalating repayment schedule
- Ask us about repayment plans for your program2
- As you pay down your balance (and monthly interest payments) you can keep borrowing up to your credit limit
- Optional Creditor Life and Disability/Disability Plus Job Loss Insurance
Available Credit Limit
||Credit Limit Per Year
||Total Maximum Credit Limit
|Medical Student Line of Credit
|Medicine (Medical Doctor)
- Includes up to 2 years of specialty studies for Dentistry Professional Student Line of Credit and for Medical Student Line of Credit monthly interest payments applies to a maximum of 7 years of residency.
- Applies only to Dentistry Professional Student Line of Credit and for Medical Student Line of Credit only. Certain conditions apply. Visit your local branch or call 1-877-CALL-BMO for complete details.
* A co-signer may be required. Subject to credit availability and verification of identity.
Are You Eligible?
• Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
• Be enrolled in a Canadian or non-Canadian post-secondary school or university
• Meet BMO’s usual credit criteria
For More Information
Visit: Bank of Montreal website
Call: (780) 408-0123 and speak with Kim Wolf
National Bank of Canada
National Bank of Canada feels that, as a full-time student and future health sciences specialist, you are entitled to a financial package that includes privileges on a range of products and services.
The Student Line of Credit is a convenient and flexible solution for:
Financing all your annual tuition and education-related expenses.
Designed as a regular Chequing account: you can access your funds at any time via Client-Card purchases, Electronic Banking Solutions or cheques.
Main advantages :
Credit limit established according to your needs
Prime rate + 0.75%
No monthly administrative fees
Funds instantly accessible at all times
Interest calculated only on principal used
Option of deferring principal payments for up to 12 months after completed studies, within credit limit. However, interest accrues during that period. Only interest and insurance premium payments (if applicable) must be made monthly.
Annual Credit Limits
||Total maximum limit authorized for the duration of the studies
|If you decide to continue on to a fellowship, you could be eligible to an additional amount.Talk to your advisor for more information.
Subject to credit approval from National Bank of Canada.
The prime rate means the annual variable interest rate published by National Bank of Canada from time to time and used by the Bank to determine the interest rates on demand loans granted by it in Canadian dollars in Canada.
Subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. A guarantor who satisfies the Bank's criteria may be required. The annual amount is base on your personal budgetary requirements. Gradual limit increases are possible. Certain specific conditions may apply. The minimum monthly payment is limited to monthly interest charges.
Examples of interest charges for a 30-day period at the rate applicable on March 11th 2009:
Annual Interest Rate
Prime Rate = 2.50%
For More Information
For more information regarding the advantages and conditions of the National Bank's Student Line of Credit, please visit advisors at the National Bank branch nearest you.
Visit: National Bank's website
Royal Bank of Canada
RBC Plan for Medical & Dental Students provides flexible financing options, convenient banking services and the one to one attention you deserve.
RBC Medical & Dental Student Specialists will be your point of contact, bringing you banking, credit and investment advice, all in one place. They will be there when you need them, for advice, support and access to financial solutions created, just for you, through the ease and convenience of a single relationship.
Student Line of Credit
RBC offers you the freedom to borrow what you need, when you need it:
- A $200,000 Student Line of Credit1 at prime, with no restrictions on how much you can borrow annually.
- Option to defer principal payments until 12 months after completion of residency. Students who are not required to complete residency have the option to defer principal payments until 12 months after graduation.
Student Banking is free while you are in medical or dental school. Convenient student banking is designed to save you money and make it easier to fit your banking needs into your schedule. The following free services are included:
- Deposits, withdrawals and transfers2
- 12 drafts and money orders per year
- Automated transfers between RBC Royal Bank accounts
- Access to your account 24/7 via Online, Telephone, Interac† direct payment and ATM banking
- Commission fee on Amex traveller cheques3
- An RBC Rewards VISA* Gold card with no annual fee1**
• Earn one RBC Rewards point for every $2 spent on the card
• Minimum credit limit of $5,000
- Discount on Royal Bank of Canada car loan interest rates
• A discount of 1% off the standard car loan rate1
- Subject to credit approval
- Excludes Interac, PLUS and/or convenience fees from other Financial Institutions' ATMs.
- Applies to single signature only † Trademark of Interac Inc. Used under license. * Registered trademark of VISA International Service Association. Used under license. ** I understand if I do not qualify for an RBC Rewards Visa Gold card you may consider my application for an RBC Rewards Visa Classic card with no annual fee. ® Registered trademark of Royal Bank of Canada. TM Trademark of Royal Bank of Canada. ® RBC and Royal Bank are registered trademarks of Royal Bank of Canada.
Students must provide:
- Confirmation that you are enrolled at a post-secondary international educational institution and pursuing a medical degree.
- An estimate of your education costs (including tuition, supplies, fees, accommodations, food, travel and other qualified expenses.)
- A list of your financial resources (including savings, bursaries, summer employment, etc.)
Allow 5 business days from time of application for review, approval and funding of line.
For More Information
Call: 1-800-769-2511 to talk to a Credit Specialist and apply by phone.
Visit: Royal Bank of Canada Website
Branch Locator: Royal Bank of Canada Branch Locator
TD Canada Trust
TD Canada Trust understands that higher education doesn’t come cheap. Being a student, you already know that. To give you a hand with your expenses, TD Canada Trust customized their Student Lines of Credit so that you can get the help you need to cover the cost of such things as tuition, books and living expenses.
With a TD Canada Trust Student Line of Credit, you can have access to the money you need, when you need it and use it for whatever you want. But you’ll also get much more:
- Pay no monthly or annual fees.
- Get a competitive interest rate, equal to TD Prime plus a variance rate. Good news: the variance rate doesn’t increase after you graduate!
- Withdraw any amount (up to your approved credit limit).
- Pay interest-only monthly payments for up to 12 months after your finish school.
- Enjoy low monthly payments after the interest-only grace period, with up to 20 years to repay.
- Access your money through Green Machine ABMs, Interac Direct Payment, EasyWeb Internet banking, EasyLine telephone banking, cheques and at any TD Canada Trust branch.1
Lines of Credit Professional students enjoy all the benefits of a standard Student Line of Credit with higher credit limits that are tailored to the unique needs of tomorrow’s professionals.
||Amount of Student Line of Credit
||Up to $200,000 with no annual re-application; access up to $60,000 in your first year of study; no co-signor (subject to approval)
TD Canada Trust Line of Credit Life Insurance
Should something happen to you, TD Canada Trust Line of Credit Life Insurance can help protect your family from outstanding debt. Since your premiums are calculated automatically based on your revolving credit balance, you pay for this valuable coverage only when you need it. And applying is easy.
Available when TD Canada Trust Student Line of Credit is programmed on your Access Card. Fees may apply.
For More Information
Call: 1-866-222-3456 for more information or application on our Student Lines of Credit
Visit: TD Canada Trust's website
Read: Student Line of Credit FAQs
Scotia Professional® Student Plan (SPSP) is a customized professional banking program that provides solutions and and strategies to help you achieve your financial goals, now and in the future. Features include:
A Scotia Powerchequing® Account
with all monthly service charges waived as long as you're in school and up to twelve months after graduation or completion of residency/articling. Included is an Overdraft Protection limit.
A Scotia Professional Student Plan Line of Credit with the flexibility of no monthly payments - interest is simply added to your principal balance, while you're within your credit limit, for as long as you remain in school and up to twelve months after graduation or completion of residency/articling.
Access to your funds by cheque, in person or by phone, Internet, direct payment or Scotiabank automated banking machines.
Your choice of:
No-Fee Scotia Moneyback® VISA* card with a $5,000 pre-approved limit; Disclosure statement - Read before you apply ( 40 kb) OR
No-Fee ScotiaGold® VISA* card with a $5,000 pre-approved limit. Disclosure statement - Read before you apply ( 40 kb)
RSP Account RSP and self-directed RSP plan administration fees waived.
The Scotia Professional Student Plan has been designed for students, who are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, enrolled in an academic program at a Canadian university leading to a professional degree in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, chiropractic, optometry, pharmacy, law or joint law and MBA programs.
Apply now using our online application. If your academic program is not eligible for Scotia Professional Student Plan, you may wish to consider applying for a ScotiaLine® personal line of credit for students.
- All student loan information contained on this UMHS webpage has been gathered from each lenders’ website as of February 1, 2011; and is subject to confirmation by the lender directly.
- All loan programs listed are subject to revision as per applicable lender.
- All programs listed are subject the given lender’s credit criteria.