Admissions & Aid /

    VA Benefits

    UMHS welcomes U.S. veterans

    UMHS is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), enabling eligible veterans, servicepersons, and certain dependents of veterans to receive VA educational benefits.

    Students walking on the UMHS campus

    VA education benefits

    Eligible persons may receive benefits under one of several types of GI Bills:

    Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill
    Chapter 31 - Disabled Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Program
    Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
    Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
    Chapter 35 - Dependents Educational Assistance Program
    Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
    Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

    For a complete description of each chapter, please visit Benefits will vary by program, so it's important to visit the VA site for further details.  The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training, length of service, category, and participation in the MGIB Fund. For information, visit the Education Benefit Payment Rates page.

    How to apply

    We encourage new UMHS applicants to visit and fill out the online application. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. Please note that the UMHS Office of the Registrar will require a copy of your paperwork.

    You may also need the following records: Form DD 214, Report of Separation or Discharge; or Form DD 2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if you are a Reservist or National Guard member.

    Applying for Chapter 31 - Disabled Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Program

    A veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 must first apply for services and receive an appointment with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). Please visit the VRE website for further information on eligibility and applying for benefits. If eligible, you will receive your VA Form 28-1905 from your counselor, which lists the dates of your Chapter 31 eligibility and the degree program authorized. This form must be submitted to the UMHS Office of the Registrar, along with the IEVER form. You must submit the IEVER each semester for UMHS to certify your continued enrollment or whenever there is a change in your status.

    Student responsibilities

    To begin receiving VA education benefits as a UMHS student, you must complete an initial application with the VA. Those forms are available here. After you receive the Certificate of Eligibility, please submit a copy to the UMHS Office of the Registrar.

    The IEVER form must then be submitted by students who are receiving VA education benefits so that UMHS can verify Enrollment Certification on VA-ONCE. Certification is required by the VA for students to continue receiving VA education benefits.

    UMHS Responsibilities

    Per the VA Benefits Administration, UMHS is required to report a change in student status including:

    1. Withdrawal
    2. Leave of Absence
    3. Vacation (only after completing the 5th semester)
    4. Temporary Withdrawal
    5. Less-than-full-time status (applicable only during Basic Sciences)
    6. Students Graduated

    UMHS is also required to:

    1. Certify that enrollment is only for those subjects that apply to the student’s program
    2. Report when a student was dismissed due to unsatisfactory progress
    3. Report when a student is suspended or dismissed for unsatisfactory conduct

    The IEVER form must be submitted to the UMHS Office of the Registrar within one week of a change in status and during the 12th week of the current enrollment to have enrollment verified for the following term. Please note that official enrollment certification will not occur until after each term's in-person registration period or when there has been verification of attendance in a clinical rotation. The change in status reporting will be completed within 30 days of any action.

    UMHS veterans scholarship

    We are proud to offer the Robert Ross Veterans Scholarship. This is a need-and-merit-based scholarship that is available to veterans, servicemen, and servicewomen during Basic Science semesters. Students may be eligible for up to $1,000 per semester. Students interested in the program should contact the Office of Financial Aid for further details.

    VA benefits used at a prior school

    If you are a veteran who previously received benefits at another institution, you must complete a "Request for Change of Place of Training" (VA Form 22-1995) and return it to the VA Office and the UMHS VA Certifying Official, along with copies of your DD form 214 (discharge from active duty) and Certificate of Eligibility.

    Questions about benefits

    If you have any questions regarding VA education benefits, you may contact the VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000. Please note that the Eastern Region Office handles applications for Foreign Schools.

    Contact information

    UMHS VA certifying official

    Dr. Brijette Sena
    Office of the University Registrar
    275 7th Ave., 26th Floor
    New York, NY 10001

    Department of Veterans Affairs VA Education Service
    1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

    VA Regional Office - Eastern Region and Foreign Schools

    P.O. Box 4616
    Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
    Phone: 1-800-827-1000
    Fax: 716-551-3241

    Relevent Post Image

    Speak with a UMHS ambassador

    Learn more about life on St. Kitts by speaking with a current UMHS student or alumnus who can share their experiences with you.

    Learn more