International Students

admissions international



International Students (Admissions)


As stated on this website and in the UMHS catalog's section detailing admissions requirements, international students (those who are citizens of any country aside from the United States or Canada) should be aware of the following additional requirements: 


NACES Evaluation


All coursework, including required pre-medical courses taken at international colleges outside the United States or Canada, must be evaluated by an NACES approved credit evaluation agency to determine if the courses are comparable and equivalent to courses taken in the United States or Canada. All required documents, if originally in a foreign language, must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.



International students, whose principal language is not English, must submit scores from the English proficiency examination, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum scores accepted are 600 on the paper based test, 250 on the computer based test, or 100 on the internet based test. Further information on the TOEFL exam may be found on the TOEFL website



white coat ceremony2



Immigration Information 


UMHS offers third and fourth year clinical clerkships in partnership with United States teaching hospitals. International students who attend UMHS may be eligible for a B-1 visa and entry to the United States in B-1 status, which applies only to the period of time they are participating in clerkships at a US medical school's hospital. This does not apply to graduate medical training (residency) which normally requires a J-1 visa. Also, please note that Canadian students are considered "visa-exempt," but must still comply with the same documentation requirements.


Students must apply in advance at a US consulate. The US Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados, is responsible for consular matters in St. Kitts. Conditions of the application include maintenance of residence abroad and demonstration of sufficient means of financial support during the student's stay in the United States.


All persons who obtain a B-1 visa or are visa-exempt must present themselves to an immigration officer upon arrival in the United States. Upon admission to the US, the immigration officer will place a stamp in the student's passport noting the period of authorized stay. The officer will also provide Form I-94, which is the entry record an international student must keep while in the US.


For further specific questions regarding the visa process, please contact Marie McGillycuddy at





button-facebook    button-twitter    button-youtube-35    button-blog

 umhs logo clear