Prospective students must meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS). Applicants are expected to have completed a minimum of three years of study (90 semester credits) at an accredited college or university. However, it is highly recommended that applicants earn a Bachelor’s Degree prior to matriculating at UMHS.
Applicants must have successfully completed the following undergraduate pre-requisite courses:
|Inorganic or General Chemistry (with Labs)||One Year|
|Organic Chemistry (with Labs)*||One Year|
|General Biology or Zoology (with Labs)||One Year|
|Physics (with Lab)||One Semester|
|College-Level Mathematics (Preferably Calculus or Statistics)||One Semester|
*Applicants may substitute one semester of Biochemistry for Organic Chemistry II if this is the prescribed pre-medical chemistry sequence at their college or university. It is recommended that additional advanced sciences courses such as Genetics, Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry be taken as well. Advanced placement courses are considered on a per case basis and may meet pre-requisite requirements.
Begin the process by submitting an application for admission to UMHS. All required supporting credentials and documentation must be received by the UMHS Office of Admissions in order to initiate a review.
A completed file consists of:
- Application for Admission
- $75 application fee
- Signed application certification form
- Personal Statement
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- MCAT score results (if applicable)
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee Letter or Two (2) individual letters of recommendation
- Any other supporting credentials specifically requested by the Office of Admissions
Forward all application materials to the UMHS North American Administrative Office:
University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
North American Administrative Office
460 West 34th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Required Documents and Fees
Applicants must submit a $75.00 application fee. The fee may be paid online or by sending a check/money order to the UMHS North American Administrative Office.
Application Certification Form
Upon submission of the application for admission, confirmation of receipt will be provided to the applicant via email. Included will be further instructions for completing the application file in addition to a certification form, which must be signed by the applicant and returned to the Office of Admissions.
Open-Ended Questions and Personal Statement
The personal statement is an important component of the application. Applicants should be sure all directions are followed completely.
Applicants should request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. Unofficial transcripts provided by the applicant will be accepted only for the purposes of an initial evaluation. In cases where the college/university attended is outside of North America, an official evaluation, performed by an NACES-approved evaluation agency, must be submitted as well.
The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required by UMHS for all U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and those who completed their undergraduate education in the U.S. Applicants must submit results of all MCAT attempts with their application. While not required for non-US citizens, the MCAT is strongly recommended for all applicants, specifically those who are Canadian citizens or residents. Please use one of the following two options to submit your results: print your scores and mail them to UMHS or scan your scoresheet and email it to email@example.com.
Inquires concerning the MCAT including applications, test dates, and location for the MCAT should be directed to:
Medical College Admissions Test Registration
The American College Testing Program
P.O. Box 414
Iowa City, IA 52243
Letters of Recommendation
It is preferred that applicants who have completed their pre-medical coursework at a college or university where there is a Pre-Professional Advisory Committee submit a letter of recommendation from that Committee. Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members at their university. One of these letters should be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant's major and the other should be from a science faculty member. Applicants are encouraged to submit one or two additional letters of recommendation from individuals with whom they have worked closely. These can be from faculty, employers, research mentors, or volunteer directors. Letters of recommendation in support of a UMHS applicant should be printed on appropriate letterhead, signed, and sent by mail to the UMHS North American Administrative Office. Letters of recommendation may be submitted via email by the writer if they are in PDF format on appropriate letterhead with a signature.
Application File Review
After you have completed the application and all supporting documents are received, the Faculty Admissions Committee will conduct a preliminary evaluation of your credentials. If it is determined that you meet our minimum qualifications, you will be invited to schedule a personal interview.
Qualified applicants will be contacted by our admissions staff to arrange their personal interview. Applicants will be given an opportunity to discuss their academic record and provide any other background information that will help the admissions committee assess the student’s maturity, aptitude, and motivation.
Applicants can anticipate admissions decisions to be made within two to three weeks after the personal interview is conducted. Applicants will be notified in writing of the decision reached by UMHS Faculty Admissions Committee. The decison making timeline may be extended during semester breaks and holiday periods.
There are five decision options:
- Acceptance: The applicant has been accepted to attend UMHS in the requested entry term.
- Acceptance/Wait List: The applicant has been accepted to attend UMHS; however, if their intended semester of matriculation is full, the applicant is placed on a wait list and confirmed for the next available semester. If a vacancy occurs, the applicant may still attend their original intended semester.
- Acceptance to the Extended Basic Science Program: The Extended Basic Science Program is designed for entering students who wished to spread the highly compressed work of the first four semesters of the medical education program over a five semester period. The program is described in detail here.
- The Accelerated Review Program (ARP): This program is designed for students who have the potential to become successful physicians but need additional academic foundation work and study skills preparation to ensure their success in the rigorous UMHS medical education program. Additional details are provided here.
- Denial: The applicant has not met the minimum entrance qualifications as determined by the UMHS Faculty Admissions Committee. An applicant may appeal this decision, in writing, and must supply additional supporting documentation for review by the Admissions Committee.
Upon acceptance to UMHS, students will begin to work with a designated staff member for assistance and instruction on all aspects of the enrollment process. A highly-detailed Welcome Packet which contains all instructions and forms to complete the enrollment process is provided at the time of acceptance. Learn more about the enrollment process by visiting this location.